What is it for
With ViewPortMaster you can simply create rectangular viewports in the model space and then insert them in the layout. App works in Autocad/BricsCAD/ZWCad, also probably soon in GstarCAD (need to find out why it doesn't work). It depends on OpenDCL (at least in version 8.0) runtime, so before you use VPM, you need to get the it first from www.opendcl.com.
Main features of application
- viewport's frame in the model space always remains rectangular, even after stretching only one vertex.
- defined objects can be copied, stretched, rotated.
- viewports' frames in the model space and viewports in the paper space are connected bidirectional. Changing size, scale, rotation (in the model space) automatically adjust object in the other space.
- you can copy/paste viewports' frames from the model space to other drawings, also you can copy/paste inserted viewports to other layout. Pasted objects will behave as originals.
- you can edit defined objects: name/scale, batch rename.
- you can change viewports' layouts in options window.
- copied objects in the model space will get names in pattern: origin(i), where i is the lowest available number.
- available scales in the combobox depends on system variable LUNITS, there will also show up your custom scales set in the drawing - SCALELISTEDIT
- - 2: metric, also you need to set drawing units in options window (mm/cm/m)
- - 3: engineering
- - 4: architectural
v 1.6.3 (2015.11.18)
- - new: annotation scale of viewports
- - new: importing new names after "S/H Names" <VPMN> function
- - new: previous key shortcuts in main window replaced by mnemonics:
- Alt+D - Delete
- Alt+E - Edit
- Alt+S - Insert
- - new: store and recover last selection in the list of objects
- - fix: many fixes for ZWCAD/GstarCAD
v 1.6.2 (2015.10.06)
- - new: show/hide objects names next to frames in the model space and viewports in layouts
- - new: quick commands: VPMN: show/hide names VPMC: toggle viewports copying option VPMD: toggle display objects frames in layouts
- - new: keyboard shortcuts in main window: DELETE: "DEL" or "D" EDIT: "E" INSERT: "W" or "R"
- - fix: reactor functions, application should be more stable under specific circumstances - fix: generating names of imported viewports
- - fix: minor bugs which I don't remember now 😉
v 1.6.1 (2015.09.21)
- - new: rebuilt layers options, more information on application website
- - new: ability of changing relative viewports insertion point "live" by pressing TAB or "W" "A" "S" "D"
- - new: function to set 2D (0 0 1) viewing direction for all viewports
- - fix: errors with non integer scales
v 1.6.0 (2015.09.01)
- - new: object list in main window is being refreshed instantly
- - new: import existing viewports from the layouts to the application objects
- - new: changing objects names by getting text from other drawing objects
- - new: application update check and download
- - new: display objects names and scale during inserting viewports in the paper space
- - fix: minor errors (scale list, modifying elements on locked layers)
v 1.5.1 (2015.07.31)
- - fix: small bug which sometimes changed viewport's target and direction randomly. This time it wasn't reactor...
v 1.5 (2015.07.01)
- - fix: few more reactor errors, bloody reactors... 😉
- - new: copy/paste objects with system clipboard
- - new: rebuilt program engine, viewports are being updated on the fly, not like before after layout change -> get rid of painful functions which made a mess.
- - new: function which keeps rectangles rectangular ;). Now it's much faster, especially in big drawings.
- - new: rebuilt application layout.
- - new: right click in viewports list opens context menu.
- - new: added WildCards filter to viewports list.
- - new: batch rename viewports names.
v 1.4 (2015.02.24)
- - fix: few reactor errors
- - new: double left click on list of viewports zoom to desired element
- - new: added standard scale lists (Imperial: architectural, engineering; Metric) plus abillity of setting custom scale as a factor 1:x
- - new: choose insert point of viewports
- - new: change size of main app windowv 1.3 (2015.01.25)
- - fix: actualization viewport on locked layer
- - fix: plottable viewports become non-plottable
How to start
Load application and type VPM. Main app window will show up. Click Options and set desired values.
Choose between two options:
One type of objects - create frames in the model space on chosen layer or on current layer. In second combobox you can choose layer of viewports inserted in the layout space. It can be different from the previous one or you can choose AS MODEL so the viewport will be on same layer as the model frame.
Create non-plottable and plottable objects frames - you can create two types of objects. The first combobox contains list with non-plottable layers and the second on plottable. Frames in the model space and viewports in the layouts will be on the same layer.
Apply above settings to existing objects.
Layers settings are also stored in the registry, so if you open fresh drawing VPM will try to set last saved options for it. If it's not possible (eg. layer not exists) then basic options will be set (one type of object, model layer: current, layout layer as model).
Pick the color of auxiliary objects: viewports frames during inserting, objects names in function from extra window, etc.
Decide what to do with newly copied viewport in the layout. Should it be still connected to source object or not.
Decide if you would like to see objects frames in the layouts.
Only for metric system. Choose your drawing units.
Layout of the main window vary according to the layers option you choose. You can see Add new or New - non-plottable, New - plottable buttons. Pressing any of it do the same, it draws rectangular frame in the model space.
Create new object and get it's name by picking any Autocad object containing text, eg. text, mtext, attribute, dimension
Type object's name
Choose desired scale for new object by selecting item in the combobox or manual typing scale factor.
Select objects to insert, adjust relative insertion point next to Insert button, and press the button. Alternatively after selecting objects press "R" or "W". If you are in the model space, the additional window will show up, where you can choose desired layout by double click its name.
During viewport insertion you can change relative insertion point on the fly pressing TAB or W(↑) A(↓) S(←) D(→)
Select objects to edit, then right click and press Edit button. Alternatively press "E".
If you set in Options two types of objects (non-plottable, plottable) you will see additional checkbox, where you can set object type. After applying object frames in the model space and viewports inserted in the paper space will get layer set in Options.
You can change object names in batch mode.
Simply type pattern to rename objects. You can also click in the New name cell and change the name manually. If the new name is the same as existing object's name, there will show up ">>" characters next to problematic names. Click ↻ to reload and keep editing.
There are some extra features to handle viewports.
Automatically import existing paper space viewports, to ViewPortMaster's objects. New rectangles will be drawn in the model space. Depending on plottable property of viewport's layer, they will be marked as plottable or non-plottable. Below, you can specify prefix which will be added to the names of newly created elements and whether there will be applied layer set in app options. This function works only with 2D viewports which viewing direction is (0 0 1).
If you have problem with importing viewports which you are sure they are 2D you can use this function to set proper viewing direction. Be careful, if you have any viewports which are intended to be 3D, this function will "flat" them.
show/hide text objects with objects names next to frames and viewports. In the future there will be a feature to change objects names by editing the text objects.
- VPMN: show/hide names
- VPMC: toggle viewports copying option
- VPMD: toggle display objects frames in layouts